« Home | New Blog Pinger, Blog Directory, and Visitor Track... » | Using a Spreadsheet to Plan Your Blogs - Part II » | Change Your Writing Perspective » | Tools of the Trade or Stationery Fetishists Anonymous » | The Writing School of Life » | On Writing Well - Or Strike That Comment » | Talk, Talk, It's Only Talk - Or Why I Multi-Blog » | Managing Your Image Files With Picasa » | Thought Management - Keeping Track of Your Unfinsh... » | Mad Skills of An Addicted Blogger »

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Let Your Blogs Write Themselves

In the last couple of years of writing full-time - unfortunately not always for profit - I've found that, sometimes, stories write themselves. Of course, I'm not saying that your blogs are magically posted to by some Internet leprechaun. Rather, when you have an overview of the blog(s) you're working on, it's easier to see your progress and to be able to review future blog plans. If you write little summaries ahead of time about what you eventually want to discuss , you'll sometimes find that some background process in your mind writes a full posting for you.

This is especially true if you are blogging about a topic that you know fairly well. The summarizing lets your mind organize thoughts and information already stored there. Even if you're learning new aspects of a broader topic that you already know, this background-writing phenomenon can still occur. It takes some writing experience to begin with, so it's not something that'll happen right away for new writers. Feed your mind with information relevant to your interests. Read, listen, watch, absorb. Employ your five senses to learn. Then summarize what you want to write about. Summarize for several days worth of blog postings. (I just find that using a spreadsheet makes it easier to create the grid that I need to organize my thoughts. You could very well use word processing software and create a table.)

Write summaries for several days worth of blogs. You can start by simply typing in a topics schedule. When your mind sparks with new ideas about one of these topics, you can add a very brief summary. Now leave the topic and summary list alone, and let the ideas simmer in your head while you do unrelated activities.

When I use this technique, blog posts someties write themselves in my head within an hour. Other times, I wake up in the morning with a couple of postings. I find, however, that if I don't type or write them down immediately, they are often gone from my mind within mere minutes. I've taken to carrying a little sketchbook into the bathroom with me so that I don't have to run into my room while I'm shaving in the morning. It sounds kind of loony, but believe me when I say you want to get your thoughts down on paper fast, no matter what you're doing (within limits).

This technique, if you practice it often enough, will work wonders for you. I've used it steadily in my writing for the past 4 calendar years. When I use it properly, it works very well. I've had days where I've written 10,000 words of fiction alone, plus some non-fiction, simply because I did just enough organizing to give my "background" mind something to work with. When I don't use it, it's a struggle to write just a thousand words.

I've been applying this technique to my blogs and it seems to work rather well. In fact, sometimes, it's like turning on a faucet of ideas. I actually sometimes have a hard time stopping myself from writing new posts so I can do other work.

(c) Copyright 2005-present, Raj Kumar Dash, http://blogspinner.blogspot.com


E-mail this post



Remenber me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 


Blogspinner-X
 

BlogSpinner-X serves two primary purposes. Firstly, it houses the original version of my Blogspinner blog, and contains the full-text of my older entries. Secondly, the more recent entries are excerpts of the full-text entries posted over on Blogspinner V2.0. In other words, the "X" stands for "eXcerpt".

About Me
I'm a geek/ philosopher/ composer/ artist/ cook/ web programmer/ consultant/ photographer/ blah-blah-blah who is also a published writer and author. This is one of several blogs that I write.

 
Archives
Internet Blog Top Sites
Earn advertising revenue for your blog or website
Download the Instant Buzz traffic toolbar
SEO Made Easy - Free E-Book
BlogMad: Traffic to your blog
Button Creator for Free
Web blogspinner-x
make money with ads by Google



Used books, out-of-print books, rare books at Biblio




Media Devils Blog Ad
(c) Copyright: 2005-present, Raj Kumar Dash, http://blogspinner.countwordula.com/