« Home | Talk, Talk, It's Only Talk - Or Why I Multi-Blog » | Managing Your Image Files With Picasa » | Thought Management - Keeping Track of Your Unfinsh... » | Mad Skills of An Addicted Blogger » | You Say You Want A Revolution - Are Blogs the Evol... » | Oops! Didn't Do My Homework for BlogDay 2005 » | To Manage Content Or Not Manage Content? A CMS Is ... » | Life Goes On/ Blogging About Disease » | Act of God? » | Where Ya From? - Tracking Visitors »

Monday, September 05, 2005

On Writing Well - Or Strike That Comment

American writer William Zinsser has written a number of several inspirational books that any ^every^ serious writer (and pro-blogger) should read. While I don't always do what I should, hHis advice has influenced both my fiction and non-fiction my writing more than that of any writer ^considerably^. The most important writing advice I've ever learned came from his book "On Writing Well". I'm paraphrasing, but Zinsser suggested ^suggests^ that once you've written a piece, take a (proverbial) pencil and strike out every other word. If the ^your^ meaning of what you wanted to say is still there in the visible words, then you have your ^you're^ finished piece (aside from grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, which you've presumably already checked for). If some of the meaning has been lost, keep inserting back a few strategic words until your meaning becomes clear.

When I was publishing a free monthly magazine, Chaos Review, back in the early- to mid- 1990s, I had a lot of ^contributing^ writers. But because they were essentially volunteers and deadlines had to be met, I often ended up writing a lot of reviews (books, film, music) myself. One of the hardest things I've ever found about writing is saying the same thing in less words rather than more. My magazine only had so much editorial space. Reviews had to be relatively short. I wrote literally hundreds of reviews for my magazine and three others in a 10-year period. Doing this hones your ability to write succinctly. But you have to keep it up. I often find myself being verbose while writing my blogs because they have such a loose style. Editing takes work, especially when it's your own writing.

(c) Copyright 2005-present, Raj Kumar Dash, http://blogspinner.blogspot.com


E-mail this post



Remenber me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 


Blogspinner-X
 

BlogSpinner-X serves two primary purposes. Firstly, it houses the original version of my Blogspinner blog, and contains the full-text of my older entries. Secondly, the more recent entries are excerpts of the full-text entries posted over on Blogspinner V2.0. In other words, the "X" stands for "eXcerpt".

About Me
I'm a geek/ philosopher/ composer/ artist/ cook/ web programmer/ consultant/ photographer/ blah-blah-blah who is also a published writer and author. This is one of several blogs that I write.

 
Archives
Internet Blog Top Sites
Earn advertising revenue for your blog or website
Download the Instant Buzz traffic toolbar
SEO Made Easy - Free E-Book
BlogMad: Traffic to your blog
Button Creator for Free
Web blogspinner-x
make money with ads by Google



Used books, out-of-print books, rare books at Biblio




Media Devils Blog Ad
(c) Copyright: 2005-present, Raj Kumar Dash, http://blogspinner.countwordula.com/