« Home | Update on Qumana Blogging Client and AdGenta Ad Ne... » | Can You Earn An Honest Living on the Internet Part... » | Changing Blogging Platforms From Blogger.com To Wo... » | Can You Earn An Honest Living on the Internet Pt I... » | Page Rank Changes - Did Your Google Page Rank Change? » | Can You Earn An Honest Living on the Internet Pt I... » | Brief Review of Qumana Blogging Client and AdGenta... » | More on Search Engine Optimization - 5 Steps to Op... » | Occam's Razor Applied - Or Why Is My Blog Traffic ... » | Search Engine Referral Windfall or Natural Course ... »

Monday, October 24, 2005

Increasing Your Search Engine Referrals Through Bad Spelling

After writing several posts over the past few months screaming about bad spelling and bad grammar, I'm doing an about face. All evidence in my research to date suggests that enough search engine queries use mispelled words that it's actually worthwhile spelling your keywords incorrectly at least once early in your posts.

Why? Many search engines only index a fragment of a web page. Some index the first few hundred words; others index some words at the beginning of a web page and then some at the end. Each engine varies. But all engines index at least a portion of the start of a we page.

What does that mean? Here's an example. In one of my cooking blogs, I posted an entry that spelled the word "vegetarian" as "vegatarian". I'm usually anal retentive about my spelling and grammar, but this word slipped by me. However, the result wast that I actually received a considerably high percentage of search engine referrals because of it.

This concept also applies to compound words. For example, out of old habit, I often spell "website" as "web site". Similarly, if you use a hyphenated phrase, such as "e-mail", try also using "email", if the hyphenation is appropriate.

The key thing to remember for your blog posts is, don't over do the spelling variations, and make sure it seems natural.

(c) Copyright 2005-present, Raj Kumar Dash, http://blogspinner.blogspot.com

Technorati : , , , ,


E-mail this post



Remenber me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 


Blogspinner-X
 

BlogSpinner-X serves two primary purposes. Firstly, it houses the original version of my Blogspinner blog, and contains the full-text of my older entries. Secondly, the more recent entries are excerpts of the full-text entries posted over on Blogspinner V2.0. In other words, the "X" stands for "eXcerpt".

About Me
I'm a geek/ philosopher/ composer/ artist/ cook/ web programmer/ consultant/ photographer/ blah-blah-blah who is also a published writer and author. This is one of several blogs that I write.

 
Archives
Internet Blog Top Sites
Earn advertising revenue for your blog or website
Download the Instant Buzz traffic toolbar
SEO Made Easy - Free E-Book
BlogMad: Traffic to your blog
Button Creator for Free
Web blogspinner-x
make money with ads by Google



Used books, out-of-print books, rare books at Biblio




Media Devils Blog Ad
(c) Copyright: 2005-present, Raj Kumar Dash, http://blogspinner.countwordula.com/