« Home | Back From Vacation » | Give'em What They Want Pt II - And Now For Somethi... » | BlogSpinner - Writer's Tools - The Writer's Block ... » | More on the Concept of the Long Tail Phenomenon - ... » | Kaizen - Bootstrapping Your Blog/Website Redesign ... » | The Best Laid (Blog) Plans Often Go Awry - Plan To... » | The 100th Monkey Syndrome or Why We All Blog About... » | Making Your Blog or Website Sticky -- Bringing Bac... » | Joining a Blog Network?: Protect Your Written Words » | Protecting Your Images, Photos and Graphics »

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Blogging As Therapy – When Panic Strikes

Two days ago, just before my return to blogging, panic struck me. I'd taken two weeks "vacation" so that I could spend 16-20 hours a day working on re-launching and launching several websites, amalgamating blogs, creating new ones, and generally planning out my posts. But when it came time to stop drawing new web page designs and start writing, I couldn't do anything. I was frozen. It didn't matter that I'd sketched out nearly 200 blog entries scrawled into several sketchbooks.

I don't normally suffer from writer's block. In fact, it wasn't writer's block, as I already had content handwritten. But I couldn't get myself to sit down and transfer my notebooks full posts to my blog client (I use Zoundry's free Blog Writer almost exclusively). I was fearful that I would fall into the same trap as I had before my so-called vacation: that I would constantly chase my tail writing one entry, posting it, then moving on to the next one, with never a minute to relax.

But when I sat down and wrote this very entry, I realized that the simplest solution was to not post until I had several finished entries typed up and edited - in other words, ready to go. In magazine and newspaper parlance, this is known as "the kitty". I don't know the origins of the term, but it refers to a stockpile of articles that an editor can use if a feature story doesn't get completed or fact-checked on time.

I decided that I would not post again until I had at least 30 complete entries typed up, based on the notes I've scribbled down for the past two weeks. It's my only chance of staying sane from the self-imposed pressure of trying to be a professional blogger and internet publisher.

[NOTE: At posting time, I haven't finished typing and editing 30 complete posts, but I'm closer than when I wrote this entry earlier today.]

(c) Copyright 2005-present, Raj Kumar Dash, http://blogspinner.blogspot.com

Technorati : , , , ,


E-mail this post



Remenber me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Add a comment

 


Blogspinner-X
 

BlogSpinner-X serves two primary purposes. Firstly, it houses the original version of my Blogspinner blog, and contains the full-text of my older entries. Secondly, the more recent entries are excerpts of the full-text entries posted over on Blogspinner V2.0. In other words, the "X" stands for "eXcerpt".

About Me
I'm a geek/ philosopher/ composer/ artist/ cook/ web programmer/ consultant/ photographer/ blah-blah-blah who is also a published writer and author. This is one of several blogs that I write.

 
Archives
Internet Blog Top Sites
Earn advertising revenue for your blog or website
Download the Instant Buzz traffic toolbar
SEO Made Easy - Free E-Book
BlogMad: Traffic to your blog
Button Creator for Free
Web blogspinner-x
make money with ads by Google



Used books, out-of-print books, rare books at Biblio




Media Devils Blog Ad
(c) Copyright: 2005-present, Raj Kumar Dash, http://blogspinner.countwordula.com/